Fort Napoleon
Guadeloupe, Grand-Terre

One of the main attractions of the island of Terre de O is Fort Napoleon. He stands on a cliff World and was originally called Fort Louis. In 1809, the fortress was destroyed by British troops. During the reign of Napoleon, the fort was rebuilt, but since then it has never been used for military purposes, but served as a prison. Now the fortress houses a museum dedicated to the history, culture and nature of the Le Sant Island group. There is also a botanical garden (Jardin exotique du Fort Napoleon), which contains many species of local plants. The garden was founded in 1984, in 1986 began cooperation and exchange of species with the botanical garden of Monaco. Today, the garden has a rich collection of local exotic plants, especially succulents (plants that accumulate moisture and nutrients in the stems and leaves; characteristic of the arid climate) from the families Agave, Cactus, Euphorbiaceae, Liliaceae. Of particular interest are prickly pears, creepers, and mammals.

Related Tour Objects
Fortress Ortahisar
Fortress Ortahisar
Fortress
Fort Recovery
Fort Recovery
Fortress
Fort Rinella
Fort Rinella
Fortress
Fortress Bebritsikhe
Fortress Bebritsikhe
Fortress
Bordy Nord Weapon Museum
Bordy Nord Weapon Museum
Fortress
Mandalay Palace (Fort Mandalay)
Mandalay Palace (Fort Mandalay)
Fortress