Postavy Regional Museum of Local Lore
Belarus, Postavy

The Museum in Pastavy was founded on January 23, 1974 by a decision of the Postavy District Executive Committee. Located in a building that is a monument of architecture. This is a former house for arrivals, built in the 60s of the 18th century by a subcarbium of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania by Count A. Tyzenhaus according to the project of the Italian architect Giuseppo Sacco and which became part of the Architectural Ensemble of the Market Square. Open to visitors in February 1976. In 1994, the museum was reconstructed and a new exposition opened, which was designed by the artist Viktor Gerasimovich Dedenko. In the collection of the museum today there are more than 8 thousand units of the main fund, more than 6 thousand units - scientific and auxiliary fund. The total exhibition area is 175 m2, which houses 7 exhibition halls. Currently, the museum has departments of nature, history and an ethnographic exposition of the interior of the peasant hut of the 30-40s of the 20th century, which tell about the natural, historical and cultural originality of the Postavshchina.
More than 300 museum items are exhibited in the nature department on an area of 74.8 m2. In the halls of the nature department posted texts that describe the rules of conduct in the forest. Here you can get acquainted with the flora and fauna of the Postavshchyna, thanks to numerous stuffed birds and animals, insect collections, herbaria. A large mineralogical collection is presented. In the history department, an area of 40.9 m2 contains 328 exhibits. The exposition opens on the ground floor with stands containing rich archaeological finds of the 3rd - 2nd millennium BC, the 11th-17th centuries. Iron scrapers, knives, awls, stone and iron axes, fragments of pottery. Of particular interest are mammoth bones found near the urban village of Lintupy in the Postavsky district. In the cozy hall of history you can get acquainted with the archaeological finds of the 18th century, with the treasure of the Dutch thalers and the 17th century orths, and the solidities of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. A special rarity is the Tatar instrument - a stone woman 700 years old. The time when Postavshchina was part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania is told by ancient maps, prints, dishes, plans of estates, court records, old books, objects of the palace interior and everyday life. The most unique of them is the tapestry "Vilensky Forest" handmade from the 18-20th centuries, from the Hunter's Castle. A special place is given to the counts of the Tyzengauz clan who owned Pastavy in the 18th-19th centuries. A significant place is given to famous people who glorified their land in the pre-revolutionary time: A. Gurinovich, K. Svayak, E. Zelenkevich, A. Romer and others, copies and originals of objects of this period, paper currency signs of Tsarist Russia are exhibited. Presented is material about the St. Petersburg Cavalry Officer School, commanded by General Brusilov, based in the estate of Pastavy in 1900-1914. The events of the First World War and the October Socialist Revolution are also reflected in the exposition. A separate section is devoted to the Polish period in the history of Postavshina from 1921 to 1939. The materials of criminal cases, photos of convictions, letters of relatives of the repressed to Stalin, photographs, documents tell about political repressions in the Postavshchina. In the museum funds you can find documents and photographs about the activities of partisans and underground workers, their personal belongings, a partisan home-made mortar, telegraph apparatus, captured German radio station, ceramics, items made from vines and straw, copper dishes and many other interesting museum items. In the future, there is a plan to create a museum branch in the Tyzenhaus palace. The museum is actively conducting exhibition activities, both from its own funds, and from other museums and private collections. Museum staff constantly take part in regional and international conferences. Monuments of historical and cultural heritage are being studied. Chronicle of enterprises, institutions of the region, the search for previously unknown names of famous compatriots. Funds are constantly being collected and equipped. Booklets are being published from the Pastaўščyna cycle. Every year the museum participates in the international festival of folk music “Zvinyatsymbal and Harmonik”, which takes connoisseurs and lovers of folk music not only from near but far abroad, popularizing the history of musical creativity in the Postavshchina.