Polotsk National Historical and Cultural Museum-Reserve
Belarus, Polock

The Polotsk National Historical and Cultural Museum-Reserve began to take shape in 1967. In 1968, the “Regulation on Historical and Archaeological Reserves” was published, and on November 20, the Polotsk City Council of Deputies adopted the Decree on the security zone around St. Sophia Cathedral. The Polotsk Historical and Archaeological Reserve became a branch of the Museum of Local Lore, which in turn was a branch of the Vitebsk Regional Museum of Local Lore. Since 1967, the conditions for research, restoration and museumification of monuments of archeology and architecture began to take shape in Polotsk. In 1969, the restoration of St. Sophia Cathedral began, where it was planned to open a museum of atheism. However, the Museum of Atheism was transferred to Grodno, and in 1985 the reserve was given the status of an independent museum association, the Polotsk Museum of Local Lore became its branch. In 1990, the Resolution “On the Polotsk Historical and Cultural Reserve” was adopted and the Regulation “On the Polotsk Historical and Cultural Reserve of Republican Importance” was approved. The regulation determined the monuments and territories that became part of the reserve: Selishche and Gorodishche (VI – VIII centuries); The Desert (1 thousand BC); Upper Castle with St. Sophia Cathedral (XI – XVIII centuries); Lower castle with the shaft of Ivan the Terrible (XVI century); Transfiguration Church with frescoes and the foundations of the tomb temple (XII century); the complex of the former Belchitsky (Borisoglebsky) monastery (XII century); "House of Peter I" (XVII century); complex of the former Jesuit collegium with retaining wall (XVIII century); “Warm” Euphrosyne Church (XIX century); Holy Cross Cathedral (XIX century); the complex of the Epiphany monastery with a cathedral and a fraternal school (XVIII century); Lutheran Church (1888); Red Bridge (XIX century). The provision fixes the presence of a protected zone of the reserve, a regulation zone of development and a zone of a protected landscape. The territory of the reserve itself is 64.7 hectares. The Polotsk National Historical and Cultural Museum-Reserve is a museum association with all the functions inherent in a museum and a museum-reserve. It has republican significance and regional subordination. The reserve, which in 1997 became known as the historical and cultural museum-reserve, and since 2000 - the Polotsk National Historical and Cultural Museum-Reserve, has 11 museums: Children's Museum; Museum of Local Lore; Museum of Belarusian Printing; Museum-Library of Simeon of Polotsk; Museum of Military Glory; Museum of the History of Architecture of St. Sophia Cathedral; Museum-apartment of the Hero of the Soviet Union Z.M. Tusnolobova-Marchenko; Museum of traditional hand-weaving Lakeland; Museum of Natural Ecology; The stationary exhibition "Walking along the Lower Pokrovskaya Street" and the Art Gallery. Architectural monuments are adapted for the exposition of the main part of museums: St. Sophia Cathedral (mid-11th – mid-18th centuries), Lutheran Church (1888), fraternal school (late 18th century), residential buildings on Voykova Street and Nizhne-Pokrovskaya Street (XIX - early XX centuries), "the house of Peter I" (1692), the former corps of the Jesuit collegium (XVIII century). In 2010, the National Polotsk Historical and Cultural Museum-Reserve included the historical and cultural complex “Field of Military Glory”, dedicated to the history of the Polotsk fortified area.
The total exhibition area of all reserve museums is 3707 m2. The total number of museum items is 85870 units, of which 60894 are of the main fund, 24976 items of scientific and auxiliary. The museum has souvenirs represented by books, booklets, ceramic products with symbols, magnets, postcards, wickerwork, CDs. The reserve itself, with its conservation zone, development regulation zone, existing and future museums, is the core around which the conditions are created for the transformation of historical Polotsk into a museum city. The museum was awarded a special prize of the President of the Republic of Belarus in the nomination "Museum business" - 2005.

Tourist Objects nearby
Children's Museum in Polotsk
Children's Museum in Polotsk
Museum-Library of Simeon Polotsky
Museum-Library of Simeon Polotsky
Museum of Traditional Hand-Weaving Lakeland
Museum of Traditional Hand-Weaving Lakeland
Natural and Ecological Museum in Polotsk
Natural and Ecological Museum in Polotsk
Stationary Exhibition Walk on Nizhne-Pokrovskaya
Stationary Exhibition Walk on Nizhne-Pokrovskaya
Polotsk Art Gallery
Polotsk Art Gallery
Polotsk Museum of Military Glory
Polotsk Museum of Military Glory
Museum-Apartment of the Hero of the Soviet Union Z.M. Tusnolobova-Marchenko
Museum-Apartment of the Hero of the Soviet Union Z.M. Tusnolobova-Marchenko
Train station Polotsk
Train station Polotsk
Museum of the History of Architecture of St. Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk
Museum of the History of Architecture of St. Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk
Related Tour Objects
Complex Hadjibektash
Complex Hadjibektash
Museums
Port arthur
Port arthur
Museums
Belgian Royal Museum of Fine Arts in Brussels
Belgian Royal Museum of Fine Arts in Brussels
Museums
Bern Museum of Fine Arts
Bern Museum of Fine Arts
Museums
Glubokoe Museum of History and Ethnography
Glubokoe Museum of History and Ethnography
Museums