Church of St. John the Evangelist in Kaneo
Macedonia, Ohrid (city)

The Church of St. John the Evangelist in Kaneo is located on the southwestern side of the hill, above Lake Ohrid. A document on church ownership suggests that the temple was built in 1447. The church building is a cruciform structure with a three-sided apse on the east side and an octagonal dome.
The architecture of the temple is extremely important for the study of medieval cultural monuments of Macedonia. The widely accepted point of view is that the builder achieved the optimal combination of Byzantine and Armenian architectural elements. In the period before the arrival of the Turks in the Balkans, the spiritual life in the church was highly developed by John Chrysostom. At the end of the XIX century, many reconstructions were carried out. The new wooden iconostasis was supposedly built at the beginning of the 20th century - this iconostasis depicted several saints and the Virgin Mary on the main apse.
A portrait of Christ, surrounded by eight flying angels, was placed in the dome of the temple. Portraits of the Prophets cover sections between windows. In the upper zone of the altar - the scene of the "Community of the Apostles" - the image of angels in royal clothing, and this image was very unusual for Byzantine painting.

Tourist Objects nearby
Antique Amphitheater
Antique Amphitheater
Monastery of Saints Clement and Panteleimon
Monastery of Saints Clement and Panteleimon
Church of Our Lady of Perivepta
Church of Our Lady of Perivepta
Fortress of King Samuel
Fortress of King Samuel
Related Tour Objects
Churches and cathedrals
Churches and cathedrals
St. Peter's Church in Vienna
St. Peter's Church in Vienna
Churches and cathedrals
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary or New Cathedral of Linz
Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary or New Cathedral of Linz
Churches and cathedrals