St. Michael's Church in Vienna
Austria, Vienna

St. Michael's Church is located in the Inner City, in the eastern part of Michaellerplatz Square. The three-nave basilica was founded in 1221 by the monks of the Order of St. Michael. In the 14th century, the church was expanded, and in the 16th century it was rebuilt in the Gothic style. From the 13th to the 18th centuries, the Michaellerkirche was one of the three parish churches of Vienna along with St. Stephen's Cathedral and the Scottish Monastery. The parish of Michaellerkirch included the imperial residence. In 1724-1725 the church acquired a baroque appearance.
December 10, 1792 at the funeral of Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart in the church was first performed by his "Requiem".
In 1792, the western facade was decorated in the style of classicism. In the vast crypt of the Church of St. Michael, the bodies of the deceased were naturally mummified due to the special climatic conditions and are available for inspection.
In 1819-1822, new departments and a new side altar were built. In 2003, the restructuring of church premises and the restoration of art objects began. Today, the restoration is not completed, so sometimes some rooms of the church are closed to the public.

Tourist Objects nearby
Spanish Riding School
Spanish Riding School
St. Augustine Church in Vienna
St. Augustine Church in Vienna
Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna
Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna
House of Music in Vienna
House of Music in Vienna
Church of St. Charles (Karlskirche)
Church of St. Charles (Karlskirche)
St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna
St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna
Scottish Church
Scottish Church
Vienna Gasometers
Vienna Gasometers
Collections of the Kunsthistorisches Museum in the New Castle (Neue Burg)
Collections of the Kunsthistorisches Museum in the New Castle (Neue Burg)