Archcathedral Cathedral of the Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Belarus, Minsk

The Cathedral of the Holy Name of the Blessed Virgin Mary is the main Catholic church in Belarus. The architectural monument is included in the State list of historical and cultural values of the Republic of Belarus. The temple was built in the years 1700-1710 as a church at the Jesuit monastery, and therefore is also known as the "Jesuit church". It was originally consecrated in honor of Jesus, Mary and Barbara. The Jesuit Church was built in the Baroque style. The interior of the temple was decorated with rich murals, wooden figures of 12 apostles. In the next few decades, the temple underwent a series of rebuilds. Two chapels were attached to the sides of the presbytery, in 1732 two towers of the main facade were completed, giving the temple a modern look. In 1773, Pope Clement XIV abolished the Jesuit Order and the church became a parish. At the end of the 18th century, after the accession of Minsk to the Russian Empire, the church was reconstructed as the Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary. But in 1863, after the mass closure of churches in the city, the Cathedral of the Blessed Virgin Mary remains the last Catholic church in the city, a stronghold of Catholicism in Minsk for the next 50 years. The temple continued to work with the advent of Soviet power. For some time, the church operated during the Great Patriotic War. However, in 1947 the church was closed again. During the Second World War, the Jesuit church was badly damaged, later its appearance was unrecognizably changed: the church was rebuilt and adapted to the training site of the Spartak sports society. Two towers of the temple were dismantled, the decoration of the shrine was eliminated. The frescoes on the walls were covered with paint, and inside the church itself there were three sports halls: for boxing, weightlifting and gymnastics, as well as an assembly hall with 500 seats. In 1993, the temple was returned to believers. Over the next decade, a detailed restoration of both the external appearance and the interior of the building was carried out. The unique murals of the internal space of the building have been restored, the organ has been restored. In early 1994, a cross was erected again on the pediment of the church. Restoration work has begun. Today, the Cathedral Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary regained its former appearance. Much has been restored from old photographs and eyewitness accounts. The re-consecration of the church took place in October 1997. In the decoration of the temple, special attention should be paid to the new altar. The image of the Mother of God, placed on the altar, is a gift from the Holy Father John Paul II. The figures of the apostles were also donated by one of the Italian churches. Also in the design of the cathedral are of interest paintings illustrating the stages of the cross of Christ. The cathedral especially came to life when an organ appeared in it. This is a gift from the episcopate of Austria and in particular the diocese of Graz. Today in the cathedral you can often hear wonderful organ concerts with the participation of local and foreign performers. From an architectural point of view, the Cathedral of the Virgin Mary is a three-nave basilica without a transept. The space is divided into naves by six columns, the central nave ends with a semicircular apse on the sides of which there are two chapels - the Holy Trinity and St. Felician. The main facade in the Vilnius Baroque style is framed by two towers. The towers are multi-tiered, three tiers rise above the level of the central cornice, the towers are crowned with crosses. A triangular pediment is located above the portico of the main facade, and a balcony with a balustrade fence is located above the portico's cornice.

Tourist Objects nearby
Central bus station
Central bus station
Club - casino "White Vezha"
Club - casino "White Vezha"
Museum of the History of Belarusian Cinema
Museum of the History of Belarusian Cinema
National Academic Drama Theater named after M. Gorky
National Academic Drama Theater named after M. Gorky
National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theater of the Republic of Belarus
National Academic Bolshoi Opera and Ballet Theater of the Republic of Belarus
Trinity Suburb
Trinity Suburb
National Library of Belarus
National Library of Belarus