State Silk Museum in Tbilisi
Georgia, Tbilisi

In 1887, the Caucasus Sericultural Station was founded in Tbilisi. A member of the Moscow Imperial Society of Agriculture Nikolay Shavrov headed this center.
In 1881, a young scientist Nikolai Shavrov was sent to Transcaucasia to develop sericulture and contribute to the agreements reached in the All-Russia art and industrial exhibition. In 1884, Shavrov was sent abroad to enrich his knowledge of sericulture. Returning in 1886, he presented the plan for the creation of the Caucasus Sericultural Station in Tbilisi to the Minister. The knowledge and experience gained in Europe, as well as the valuable collections that he brought with him, contributed to the creation of the Silk Museum and Library Foundation.
The silkworm station, which in 1930 united the museum, library and the Transcaucasian Scientific Research Institute of silkworm and silk production, was renamed Tbilisi in 1935, and in 1954 the Georgian Research Institute of Sericulture. In the early 1970s, a difficult period began in the history of the museum: in 1975 the institute moved from the museum building, which was transferred to the Dynamo stadium in 1981. In 1996, the building was recognized as a historical monument. From 1998 to 2005, the museum and library were transferred to the Silk Production Coordination Center, which is subordinate to the Ministry of Agriculture. In 2006, for the first time in its long history, the museum became an independent institution.
Of the large buildings built in Tbilisi in the second half of the 19th century, the complex of the Caucasian sericultural station was, of course, one of the most important. This is one of the best works of Tbilisi architecture of the late 19th century, which is on the list of monuments of national importance.
The museum is interesting for the variety and wide range of its collections, since here you can see almost all aspects of sericulture: the biology of the mulberry tree and silkworm, butterflies, the richest collection of cocoons - 5 thousand species and variations, all kinds of threads, a collection of natural and synthetic dyes with samples, homespun and factory fabrics, silk products, mock-ups and models of machine tools, various tools and devices, boxes for transporting silkworm eggs, a rich photo archive. It is especially interesting that the collections of the museum are represented by all countries in which silk production is traditional.
Most of the museum's collections are collected by Nikolai Shavrov and donated by European, Russian and Caucasian colleagues.

Related Tour Objects
Undorovsky Paleontological Museum
Undorovsky Paleontological Museum
Museums
Temple of Fire Ateshgah
Temple of Fire Ateshgah
Museums
National Maritime Museum in Haifa
National Maritime Museum in Haifa
Museums
Lushun Museum
Lushun Museum
Museums