Khariton Akhvlediani State Museum of Adjara
Georgia, Batumi

The history of the museum originates from a small school exhibition created in the city school named after Pushkin in March 1908. A group of enthusiasts was led by labor teacher Nikolai Goman. The collection was constantly replenished, and over time it began to run out of space. Therefore, in 1930, the museum "moved" to a new building (the former Treasury), where it is located to this day. Construction - 1883. In 1957, the second floor was added to the museum building. Since 2005, the museum bears the name of Hariton Akhvlediani, who was the director from 1938 to 1989.
The museum occupies two floors and consists of four departments: nature, archeology, ethnography and history. The exposition presents about 170,000 exhibits. Among them are rare monuments of flora and fauna, archaeological collections, unique ethnographic material, various documents, photographs, manuscripts, and a collection of weapons. In addition to these 4 departments, there is an exhibition hall and a courtyard, where a mixed collection is presented - from ancient stone crosses, household items, and ending with a skeleton of a whale.
Department of Nature
This is the first hall where the visitor gets. It contains an early geological map of Adjara. Here is what is written about the geology of this region: "Adjara has come a long way in geological development. 155 million years ago its territory was covered by the sea, but about a million years ago the sea receded as a result of volcanic eruptions and land appeared." Oaks, figs, palm trees and vines of the rarest giant grapes grew in these places. Other petrified plants are also represented here, as well as herbariums - mountain, subtropical, ornamental, medicinal plants ... You can also see samples of sedimentary rocks, minerals. In the zoological department - insects, stuffed birds and animals, alcohol-rich amphibians and reptiles, ever living in these places.
Department of Archeology
This section contains an impressive collection of about 1,500 exhibits - tools and handicrafts of the Stone Age, objects found as a result of excavations of burials of the Hellenistic period, stone idols and an altar of the pre-Christian era, silver, bronze bracelets, clay pottery collections, numismatic collections. The museum presents in large numbers Greek pottery with various ornaments. Among these exhibits, a crater occupies a special place (dr. Greek κεράννυμι - I mix) with images of scenes from myths of Ancient Greece, which is the hallmark of the museum. In this vessel, the hallmark of which is a wide neck, wine and water were mixed. This artifact was found in 1967, during archaeological excavations in Pichvnari, near Kobuleti, and it dates back to the 5th century BC. This is a rather rare exhibit - there are only three such craters in the world. The remaining two are kept in the Louvre (France) and the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (USA).
Ethnography Department
Here you can see the dowry chest, wardrobe. The decoration is complemented by clay and wooden utensils, wooden skis, wicker baskets. A copper plate decorated with Arabic script is noteworthy. Nearby is a life-size model! - weapons workshop. There is also an amazing collection of women's wedding dresses of the 19th century. In the next window are chakura (men's clothing in red), asiatic (leather boots), choha-shali. The collection is complemented by shawls, carpet, gloves, patterned socks made by Adjarian craftsmen of the 18th-19th centuries.
Historical department
Here you can see photographs depicting cultural monuments, weapons, photographs of famous people who left their mark in the history of Adjara. Particularly noteworthy is the collection of weapons from the Russo-Turkish war (1877-1878): cuirassiers' spears, short sword, scimitar, flintlock weapons, berdanka, musket, grenades, pistols. And next to the equipment of a Georgian warrior: armor, chain mail of the 16th century (weighing 30 kilograms), helmet, Georgian sword “Gorda” of the 19th century, daggers, pistols, spear points.
There are a number of exhibits in the courtyard of the museum. Including the 18-meter skeleton of a whale. Captain Aleksey Solyanik and captain Abesalom Zenaishvili gave him a gift to the museum in 1962. The whale was killed in the distant waters of Antarctica.

Related Tour Objects
Salzburg Residence
Salzburg Residence
Museums
Museum of the History of Natural History
Museum of the History of Natural History
Museums
Norfolk Island Museum
Norfolk Island Museum
Museums
Fondaco Dei Turki - Museum of Natural History
Fondaco Dei Turki - Museum of Natural History
Museums
Museum of Maria Skłodowska Curie of the Polish Chemical Society
Museum of Maria Skłodowska Curie of the Polish Chemical Society
Museums
Azerbaijan Carpet Museum
Azerbaijan Carpet Museum
Museums