Wroclaw Town Hall
Poland, Wroclaw

The Old Town Hall in Wroclaw is not only the historical seat of the city authorities, but also an architectural treasure of European scale.

The Old Town Hall in Wroclaw is the only monument of secular Gothic architecture in Europe. It is a two-storey rectangular building with a square tower.

The town hall was built for about 250 years (from the end of the 13th century to the 16th century). At that time, city authorities and courts were located here. The final appearance of the town hall was determined by the reconstruction in 1470-1480. At that time, the building was expanded and acquired a more representative character. In 1510, the facade of the town hall was plastered and covered with painted decorations.

In 1559 the town hall towers were raised and covered with a Renaissance dome. In 1580, the clock on the east facade started working. Since 1808, the interior of the town hall has gradually degraded. The outdated building no longer met the requirements of the modern administration, so the deputies of the city council decided to move to the nearby New Town Hall.

Only at the end of the 19th century were the first renovations carried out, the interior was built, among other things, a new staircase.

However, in the 1930s the Great Hall was restored in a three-nave form, new floors were laid, the eastern facade was plastered, and the parterres surrounding the building were removed. In the spring of 1945, the Old Town Hall was seriously damaged. After the war, the facade was repeatedly repaired.

Related Tour Objects
Gold Museum in Lima
Gold Museum in Lima
Museums
Elmina Java Museum
Elmina Java Museum
Museums
Museum of Andrzej Strug
Museum of Andrzej Strug
Museums
Xavier Dunikovsky Sculpture Museum in Krulikarnia
Xavier Dunikovsky Sculpture Museum in Krulikarnia
Museums
Ecological Museum of White Stones
Ecological Museum of White Stones
Museums