Fountain Square
Azerbaijan, Baku

Fountain Square appeared in Baku in 1864. It is located in the Sabail district of the city and is limited by Ahmed Javad Street on the south side and Nigyar Rafibeyli Street on the north.
Talks about the refinement of the wasteland, which used to be on the site of the metropolitan area, began back in 1806, when Baku became part of the Russian Empire, but targeted actions by the authorities to build the square began in 1859, when Baku received the status of a provincial city. The city began to grow in the right compositional elements.
Despite the fact that the existing buildings and the planning network of streets limited the creative initiative of the authors of the master plan, they still managed to develop an explana layout with the inclusion of some compositional elements, which later became architectural and spatial nodes.
Parapet Square, which arose in the early 1860s on the initiative of the Baku governor Kolyubakin and for some time called in his honor Kolyubakinsky, was the organizing element of the business and public center of Baku. The parapet, which has now preserved an even and fairly wide area between the residential buildings located here, once served as a springboard for military parades and religious processions.
The construction of the square is mainly represented by the work of the architect Kasym-bey Hajibababekov. He built here two-story caravanserais (now the Araz movie theater and http://www.tury.ru/sight/id/10887), residential buildings, the Grand Hotel and the Metropol hotels. Gasim bey Gadzhibababekov was so skillful in city planning, so skillfully arranged quarters that more than once aroused admiration for Russian and European urban planners. The caravanserai project was graphically completed by Mashadi Mirza Gafar Ismayilov, who later also became a major architect. But there was no dominant structure on the square, which, being the center of the architectural composition, would subjugate the rest of the buildings. Various volumetric interpretation and plastic development of buildings located around the square, nevertheless contributed to the creation of a significant urban development hub of capitalist Baku. Among other architectural structures near Parapet Square, one can note the Armenian http://www.tury.ru/sight/id/21487, which was laid in 1863.
The quarters around the Icheri Sheker fortress were arranged, the location of which was consistent with the contour of the fortress walls; the streets tied to the bastions as supporting elements linking the ancient and new parts of the city. Swans swam in the Governor's Garden, while Parapet was in an unsightly state, and the townspeople demanded that it be turned into a public garden.
In 1880, at the place where the Nizami monument stands today, the construction of the monument to Alexander II was conceived, in connection with which Parapet was sometimes called the Imperial in the local press. In 1891, the city architect A. S. Kandinov presented the project of Kolyubakinsky Square. Kandinov’s project was well connected with the urban planning of pedestrian traffic. The Duma proposed dividing the square into four parts.
In January 1894, preparatory work was carried out on the Parapet Square to plant landscaping on the part where it was decided to erect a monument. To do this, they were going to write out trees from Borzhom, Tiflis and other cities. The idea of constructing a monument was not realized due to lack of funds. In the future, the revolutionary situation in Russia removed this question altogether.
There were no green spaces on Kolyubakinskaya Square. Gardening of Parapet began only at the beginning of the 20th century - there appeared a primitive square in the form of a narrow strip of greenery along the perimeter with free space of the square. The stunted greens, a regular layout, and inexpressive fencing in the drawing gave the square a breezy and uncomfortable appearance. Baku People ironically called it a “dry” or barren garden, which later turned into an oasis.
In 1920, the Barren Garden was renamed the Karl Marx Garden, although there was never a monument to this figure here. Parapet turned into a square with its old buildings after the reconstruction of the 1950s (architect I. Tikhomirova) consolidated its position in the planning of the modern city.
In Soviet times, Parapet was also famous for the fact that in the summer days an orchestra played here, around which young couples circled in a waltz. By the way, now this good tradition is returning - and among modern fountains, buildings and attractions, everyone’s favorite orchestra plays, which gives the square its chic, giving the Baku people a pleasant and memorable vacation.
In the 70s of the 20th century, the Nargiz cafe, popular among the Baku people, was shot on the square, where shots were taken from the films Amphibian Man, Where is Ahmed ?, etc. In 1984, a new stage of garden reconstruction was carried out as a landscape designer a talented architect-artist Seifullaev spoke, significantly modifying the layout of the park. A significant renewal of green spaces took place, elegant concrete slabs of a reddish hue appeared, otherwise terraces and steps edged with white stone began to look, cascading landscaping began.
It was then that the area was also decorated with fountains, after which it received its current name. Of particular interest today is the central fountain in the center of the square, decorated with an original sculptural composition. Another group of fountains was located between the far side of the square and historical buildings. After the large-scale reconstruction that took place in 2010, the square took on a more vivid and modern look, becoming a kind of embodiment of the path of progressive perfection, along which the capital of Azerbaijan moves in the new millennium. Today, Fountains Square fits perfectly into city landscapes and often serves as a meeting and relaxation place for residents and guests of Baku.

Tourist Objects nearby
Lesser Venice
Lesser Venice
National Museum of the History of Azerbaijan
National Museum of the History of Azerbaijan
Philharmonic Park
Philharmonic Park
Icheri Sheher
Icheri Sheher
Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator in Baku
Church of St. Gregory the Illuminator in Baku
Related Tour Objects
Nitorov (New Square)
Nitorov (New Square)
Square
Hotel-de-Ville square (former Grevskaya square)
Hotel-de-Ville square (former Grevskaya square)
Square
Bolivar Square in Bogota
Bolivar Square in Bogota
Square
Old Town Market Square
Old Town Market Square
Square