Klesheim Palace - Salzburg Casino
Austria, Salzburg

Klessheim Palace was built on behalf of Archbishop Johann Ernst Thun, who acquired a small aristocratic property in the immediate vicinity of the city of Salzburg, in the late 17th century. On his behalf, an elegant palace in the style of North Italian mannerism was designed. The palace was originally called “Favorita”, which means “Favorite” in translation. The construction of the palace was completed in 1732. The palace was built for more than 20 years. Klesheim Palace has a grandiose and very inspiring view: near the main entrance there is a magnificent Triton fountain, loggias, vestibules and stairs are immortalized by the baroque splendor of the past, lying deer, whose horns are strewn with gold stars, are on a pedestal near each entrance to the main entrance of the palace. The interior plaster in the decoration of the palace is the work of Paolo d'Allio and Diego Francesco Carlone, created according to the plans of Fischer von Erlach. During the Austro-Hungarian monarchy, the palace belonged to Archduke Ludwig Victor. In 1866, he commissioned the architect, Heinrich von Ferstel, to build the so-called Winter Palace, Cavalier House. The palace park, surrounded by a high wall, which was served by 11 gardeners, initially consisted of three gardens separated by walls: the Meierhof garden, a decorative garden and the Pheasan garden (Hunting Garden). In 1938, Klesheim Palace was confiscated. Eagles made of sandstone, above the front doors, were remade to the symbolism of the Third Reich. Adolf Hitler used the palace as a residence for top-level political receptions. For example, there were meetings with Benito Mussolini and Miklos Horthy. Also in the palace park, military performances and parades of Wehrmacht soldiers were held. In 1945, after the liberation of Salzburg, the palace was occupied by Allied forces to celebrate the victory on the occasion of the end of World War II, after which it was used for a long time by the American occupation forces.
The elegant halls of the Klesheim Palace have been used for casinos since 1993. Initially (since 1934), the Salzburg casino was located in the Mirabell Palace, and after 1950, it was located in the Winkler Cafe on Munich Street. Initially, Klesheim Palace only temporarily sheltered an entertainment venue. But the sophisticated architecture, the juxtaposition of Baroque art and modern games, attracted so many guests that the Austrian authorities allowed to keep the casino in this place to this day. Currently, the Casino offers its visitors 26 roulette tables (5 of them are American), 5 Black Jack tables, 10 poker tables, 156 slot machines. There are several restaurants for guests, and free parking is provided. We accept credit and credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Diners Club, JCB).

Tourist Objects nearby
Mirabell Palace and Gardens in Salzburg
Mirabell Palace and Gardens in Salzburg
St. Peter's Church in Salzburg
St. Peter's Church in Salzburg
Helbrunn Palace and Salzburg Fountain Park
Helbrunn Palace and Salzburg Fountain Park
Salzburg Old Town
Salzburg Old Town
Museum of Natural History and Technology
Museum of Natural History and Technology
Hohensalzburg Fortress in Salzburg
Hohensalzburg Fortress in Salzburg
Salzburg Puppet Museum
Salzburg Puppet Museum
Related Tour Objects
Topacz Castle Automotive Museum
Topacz Castle Automotive Museum
Palaces and castles
Palaces and castles
Palaces and castles
Palaces and castles
Gardens
Palaces and castles
Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna
Schonbrunn Palace in Vienna
Gardens
Palaces and castles