Odessa Transfiguration Cathedral
Ukraine, Odessa

Transfiguration Cathedral is one of the oldest churches in Odessa. It was laid a year after the founding of the city in 1795. The cathedral, designed by the architect Frappolli, whose construction was completed on May 25, 1808, became one of the most important historical and cultural monuments of the city. In the 30s, the cathedral was demolished. In 1999, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine included the Odessa Cathedral in the "Program for the reconstruction of outstanding lost historical and cultural monuments of Ukraine." The temple was restored in the form that it had during its heyday. The interior of the cathedral itself has undergone changes, the lower temple appeared. The main shrine of the temple is the miraculous icon of the Kaspersky Mother of God. Here lie the remains of Archbishop Innocent (1857), Ioannicius (1877), Nicanor (1890). The cathedral also contained the grave of Prince M.S. Vorontsov and his wife; in 2006, it was moved from the Sloboda cemetery to its former place in the restored cathedral. Today the Transfiguration Cathedral is an architectural monument and a symbol of the spiritual revival of the whole of southern Ukraine.

Tourist Objects nearby
Health Track in Odessa
Health Track in Odessa
Odessa port
Odessa port
Odessa Lunapark
Odessa Lunapark
Park named after T.G. Shevchenko in Odessa
Park named after T.G. Shevchenko in Odessa
Dolphinarium Nemo in Odessa
Dolphinarium Nemo in Odessa
City Garden on Deribasovskaya
City Garden on Deribasovskaya
Related Tour Objects
Basilica of St. Adalbert
Basilica of St. Adalbert
Temples
St. Mark's Cathedral
St. Mark's Cathedral
Temples
Treasure House of Al Khazneh
Treasure House of Al Khazneh
Temples
Basilica of Santa Maria Della Salute
Basilica of Santa Maria Della Salute
Temples
Church In the Name of St. Sergius of Radonezh
Church In the Name of St. Sergius of Radonezh
Temples
St. John Baptist Cathedral
St. John Baptist Cathedral
Temples