The literary society is the oldest intellectual institution in Greece. The building in which the company is located is the work of the architect Ionis Chronis and is located opposite the Royal Palace. It was founded as the "Literary Club" in 1836. Its first president was a philosopher, politician, diplomat and professor at the Ionian Academy of Petros Brailas - Armenis. The society was conceived to establish contacts with politicians, scientists of Western Europe and made a significant contribution to the cultural development of the Ionian Islands. The Literary Society is a member of the European Federation of Associations and Institutions "Europa Nostra".
The library has 10,000 titles, including newspapers, booklets, old maps, prints and photographs. The company organizes exhibitions of various artists, lectures and seminars, scientific congresses and musical events.