Church of St. Charles in Monte Carlo
Monaco, Monte-Carlo

The Church of St. Charles was built in 1879 in Monte Carlo on the initiative of Prince Charles III of Monaco. Charles Lenormand was appointed architect. The site on which the church was planned to be built was donated to the city by the widow of the casino director Madame Blanc. The foundation was laid on November 9, 1879, the construction was completed on March 26, 1883, and on March 15, 1887 the parish of St. Charles was opened. The church has the shape of a Latin cross, built in the Renaissance style. The temple is 47 meters long, 15 meters wide, and 13 meters high. The facade of the building is crowned by a 35-meter bell tower, at the entrance are the sculptors of St. Charles Borromeo and St. Lawrence, made by the sculptor Cordier. The interior of the temple consists of an apse and a choir, two chapels and a nave, separated from the aisles by semicircular arches. Behind the choir there is a sacristy and church rooms. When creating the organ, a carved wooden pulpit from the Church of St. Nicholas was used, on the site of which St. Charles Church was erected. The organ was restored several times in subsequent years, but in 1973 it stopped working. In 1977, a new organ was installed in the church, performed at the papal organ factory Tamburini. Inside the temple, sunlight enters through 19 windows with stained glass windows depicting 19 saints. Currently, the parish of the temple consists of parishioners of 32 nationalities, the church provides more than a dozen pastoral and parish services.

Tourist Objects nearby
Princely Palace of Monaco
Princely Palace of Monaco
Royal Japanese Garden
Royal Japanese Garden
Princess Fontvieille and Princess Grace Rosary
Princess Fontvieille and Princess Grace Rosary
Church of the Holy Virgin
Church of the Holy Virgin
Museum of Prehistoric Anthropology
Museum of Prehistoric Anthropology
Related Tour Objects
Churches and cathedrals
Churches and cathedrals
Churches and cathedrals
Churches and cathedrals
Church in honor of the Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign (Church of the Sign of the Mother of God)
Church in honor of the Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign (Church of the Sign of the Mother of God)
Churches and cathedrals
Holy Assumption Church in Braslaw
Holy Assumption Church in Braslaw
Churches and cathedrals