Oslo National Museum of Art
Norway, Oslo

The National Gallery in Oslo was opened in 1842, after the adoption in 1836 by the Norwegian parliament of a resolution establishing the National Museum of Art in the capital of Norway. The first expositions were presented in the halls of the Royal Palace, since the museum did not have its own premises. The building, which is now occupied by the National Gallery, was built in 1880 by the architect Adolf Schirmer. In order to expand the area for an ever-growing collection, create a library and a lecture hall, in 1904-1907 the south wing was added to the building, in 1918-1924 - the north wing. Since 2003, the National Gallery became part of the National Museum of Art, Architecture and Design. The collection of works by Norwegian and foreign artists is constantly growing through acquisitions and donations. In 1869, the Christiania Sparebank donated funds to the National Gallery for the acquisition of a collection of sculptures, a little later the bank acquired a collection of engravings for the museum, consisting of 2000 works. Thanks to donations from private collectors, the gallery received paintings by the French Impressionists, as well as paintings by Edward Munch, "Scream" and "Madonna." To date, the collection has 4,500 paintings, 900 sculptures, 950 plaster casts, 17,300 drawings and 25,000 prints. The gallery presents works by El Greco, Pierre Renoir, Claude Monet, Paul Cezanne and Pablo Picasso. The National Gallery has permanent and temporary exhibitions, and in the department of prints and drawings you can see and learn from the museum’s scientific staff a lot of interesting things about the author and the history of this or that work. One of the most luxurious salons of the National Gallery is considered the French Salon. The hall was opened in 1923, it displayed a rich collection of plaster casts from sculptures of French masters of the XVII - XVIII centuries, stored in the Louvre. In 1960, the salon was transformed into an exhibition hall for antique sculpture. In 2002, it was restored in its original form: marble panels on the walls, a gilded ornament and sculptures adorn its interior. Now in the French salon a cozy cafe is open.

Tourist Objects nearby
Oslo Viking Ship Museum
Oslo Viking Ship Museum
Castle and Fortress Akershus
Castle and Fortress Akershus
Edward Munch Museum
Edward Munch Museum
Ski Museum in Oslo
Ski Museum in Oslo
Kon Tiki Museum
Kon Tiki Museum