Castle and Fortress Akershus
Norway, Oslo

Akershus Castle and Fortress is an ancient fortification, during the Middle Ages it was the main defense and cultural center of the capital of Norway. The castle began to be built at the end of the 13th century during the reign of King Haakon V Magnusson to protect against enemies and rebels. The location of the castle on the coast was of great strategic importance not only for the protection of the city, but also for the development of shipping and trade. In 1308, the fortress received its first baptism of fire, having withstood the siege of the Swedish troops, and in the XVI century a strong fire broke out from the lightning strike in the castle, which almost completely destroyed the building. The castle was immediately rebuilt. In the middle of the XVII century, after a fire in Oslo, King Christian IV ordered the city to be moved close to the walls of the fortress. Now this district of Oslo is called Quadrature. Additional fortifications were built around the fortress, and the castle itself was rebuilt in the Renaissance style. In 1716, the Akershus fortress withstood the siege of the army of the Swedish king Charles XII, the Swedes failed to take it. Since 1811, castle buildings were used as a prison. Prisoners were called slaves, because for a fee local residents could use them as labor. At the beginning of the XX century, the Akershus fortress and castle were in poor condition, they even planned to erect malls in their place. Fortunately, this did not happen, and restoration work began in the fortress. Restoration work was interrupted during the Second World War, then the Gestapo hosted the fortress. It should be noted that in its history the fortress successfully survived all the sieges, never surrendering to the enemy. The only surrender was surrender without a fight to Nazi German forces in 1940, when the Norwegian authorities evacuated Oslo after the German attack on Denmark and Norway, as a result of which the countries declared neutrality in World War II. After the war, the castle restored the ceremonial halls of the Danish-Norwegian kings, the castle church, opened access to the dark dungeons and the Royal Mausoleum, in which Kings Sigurd I, Haakon V, Haakon VII, Olaf V, Queen Eufemia and Maud, Crown Princess Marta are buried. Akershus Castle is used for official public events and dinners for guests of honor and heads of foreign states. On the territory of the fortress are the Norwegian Museum of the Armed Forces and the Norwegian Museum of the Resistance Movement. The castle often hosts festivals, concerts, theater performances and exhibitions.

Tourist Objects nearby
Oslo National Museum of Art
Oslo National Museum of Art
Oslo Viking Ship Museum
Oslo Viking Ship Museum
Edward Munch Museum
Edward Munch Museum
Vigeland Sculpture Park
Vigeland Sculpture Park
Ski Museum in Oslo
Ski Museum in Oslo
Kon Tiki Museum
Kon Tiki Museum
Related Tour Objects
Palaces and castles
Sant Elmo Castle
Sant Elmo Castle
Palaces and castles
Fortress
Hohenschwangau Castle
Hohenschwangau Castle
Palaces and castles
Salzburg Residence
Salzburg Residence
Palaces and castles
Royal Palace Complex - Peles and Pelishor Palaces
Royal Palace Complex - Peles and Pelishor Palaces
Palaces and castles
Fort Al Fahidi
Fort Al Fahidi
Fortress
Hue Citadel
Hue Citadel
Fortress