The city of Lucerne stretches along the edge of Lake Firwaldsted (Lake of the Four Cantons) in the German-speaking part of Switzerland, against the backdrop of a picturesque alpine landscape. Where Royce flows out of the lake, in the 14th century the Capellbrücke was built - a long (200 meters) bridge with an octagonal watch tower in the middle. The tiled roof bridge over the River Reis has become a symbol of the city - it is one of the oldest wooden bridges in Europe. Its length is 198 meters; it crosses the river obliquely. At the southern end of the bridge is an octagonal Water Tower under a tented roof on the water. This tower, like the bridge itself, was originally part of a chain of urban defenses. The tower served as a dungeon at that time; there was also a torture chamber in it. But the city treasury was also stored here. At the beginning of the 17th century, 112 triangular paintings were placed on the rafters of the roof of the bridge. Two centuries later, they were restored; the paintings depict episodes of the history of the city of Lucerne, as well as the exploits of the townspeople and surrounding residents in the struggle of Switzerland for their independence. Here you can also see illustrations of the lives of two saints of the city - Leodegar and Mauritius - with the corresponding explanatory inscriptions.
A little further to the west is the second bridge over the Reis - Sproyerbruck; it was built in 1407, and in the XVII century it is painted with gloomy plots on the theme of Dance of Death.
With its shady parks on the lake and many historical sights, Lucerne has long attracted tourists. On the north coast of Reis, an old inner city with a labyrinth of narrow streets and alleys typical of the Middle Ages has been preserved. Here you can see the ancient city wall of the XIV century with its formidable watchtowers, a delightful wine market, the building of the city hall of the XVII century and the Court Church of Leodegar and Mauritius, consecrated in 1644.
The famous lion monument recalls the soldiers of the Swiss guard of the French king Louis XVI, who heroically gave their lives, protecting the king and his family from the angry revolutionary crowds during the storming of the Tuileries Palace in August 1792 in Paris. The monument is a statue of a mortally wounded lion carved in a rocky niche. It was created by the famous Danish sculptor Bertel Thorvaldsen in 1821. Lucerne also has the largest transport museum in Europe, a planetarium, the Gletchergarten Glacier Park and the local history museum. Excursions on pleasure boats on Lake Firwaldstett will give city guests the opportunity to admire the beauties of the surrounding forests and mountains. At first, Lucerne was simply a big fishing village. His takeoff was facilitated by the opening in the 13th century of a trade road through the Alps along the St. Gotthard Pass, which connected the Rhine Valley with Northern Italy. The city immediately began to grow, as trade relations developed, its wealth also grew, so that in the end it turned into a large shopping center. At first, Lucerne belonged to the Austrian Habsburgs, but in the XIV century he rebelled against them and threw off a foreign yoke. Since then, he remains a stronghold of the Roman Catholic faith in Switzerland. Lucerne and its immediate surroundings are associated with many great names. Victor Hugo, Alphonse Daudet and Mark Twain admired the sunrise over the Alps from the Riga-Kulm Hotel, located at an altitude of almost 2000 meters.