St. Barbara's Cathedral
Czech Republic, Kutna Hora

St. Barbara Cathedral is located in the Czech Republic, in the city of Kutna Hora, and is the second largest Gothic church in the Czech Republic. Its construction was begun in 1388, during the prosperity of the city of Kutna Hora, which arose next to the rich deposits of silver ore. Since the beginning of the XIV century, the city of "silver mines" fought with Prague itself for the right to be called the main city of the Czech Republic. On the initiative of the wealthy families of Kutna Hora, the construction of St. Barbara Cathedral was started, which was to compete with the St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague. The original project was designed by architect Petra Parler. The first phase of construction was completed in 1392 with the construction of a chapel. The oldest part of the temple is built in the style of French cathedrals. During the Hussite Wars, construction work was interrupted. In 1482, the construction of the temple resumed, but construction progressed at a slow pace. From 1489 to 1506, the work was directed by Matei Reisek, in which a choir, triforium, basilica windows and baptized arches were built. In 1512, the architect Benedict Reit was involved in the construction, who replaced the five-nave temple structure with a three-nave one and erected two more lateral ones over the main nave, which created the effect of the “church above the church”. In 1558, due to lack of funding, the construction of the Cathedral again ceased. In the XVII century, the unfinished temple was transferred to the Order of the Jesuits, a college was built near the Cathedral, and the exterior and interiors were rebuilt in the Baroque style. After the collapse of the order, the neo-Gothic style was returned to the Cathedral, its construction, stretching over 5 centuries, was completed in 1905. The length of the Cathedral of St. Barbara is 70 meters, the width is 40 meters, the height of the arch is 30 meters. The walls of the temple are covered with ancient frescoes: scenes of mining of silver ore are depicted in the Gashplir chapel, stages of the medieval technology of coin minting in the Chapel chapel, biblical scenes “Queen of Sheba comes to king Solomon”, “The Court of Trajan” and “Crucifixion” are depicted in the Smashkov chapel. The stained glass windows depict the historical milestones of the city of Kutna Hora and the Czech Kingdom. Particular attention in the decoration of the Cathedral deserves the sanctuary of 1510, made in the workshop of Matthias Reisek, and the late Gothic choral benches of 1480-1490, decorated with carvings by the master Jakub Nimbursky. St. Barbara Cathedral is one of the most famous sights of the Czech Republic, in 1995 it was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List.