The National Art Gallery is located in the historic center of Caracas - the capital of Venezuela, a few steps from Los Caobos Park. The gallery was founded by the National Institute of Culture and Arts of Venezuela in 1974, opened to visitors in April 1976 and originally occupied part of the building of the Museum of Fine Arts, built in 1936 by the architect Carlos Raul Villanueva. In 2009, the National Art Gallery moved to a specially constructed building for it, the author of the project was the famous Venezuelan architect Carlos Gomez de Lierena. Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez personally opened the new gallery building, which became the first in the list of the so-called cultural zone of Caracas Parque José María Vargas, in the territory of which there are many metropolitan museums, theaters and art galleries. The collection of the National Art Gallery includes more than 7000 works by Venezuelan and foreign artists representing various genres and directions of art - painting, engraving, drawing, sculpture, installation, photography, ceramics and textiles. The museum’s collection includes works by Venezuelan artists spanning a period of more than four centuries, from the colonial period to the present day. Visitors to the gallery can see paintings by famous artists Alvarado José Lorenzo, Juan Pedro Lopez, Arturo Michelen, Francisco de Miranda and many other representatives of the Venezuelan school of painting. In addition to permanent exhibitions, the Art Gallery hosts temporary and thematic exhibitions, master classes, creative evenings, educational programs have been developed for adults and children, lectures are given and guided tours are provided.