Museum of the Archbishopric of Warsaw (Museum of the Warsaw Metropolis)
Poland, Warsaw

The Museum of the Archbishopric of Warsaw (Museum of the Warsaw Metropolitanate) was opened in 1938 at the initiative of the Archbishop of Warsaw, Cardinal Alexander Kakowski. The museum was located in the historic district of Warsaw, the Old Town, next to the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist. The museum's exposition had religious statues in the Gothic style, collections of ancient ritual fabrics and jewelry of sacred art. The most valuable exhibits were taken out by the Nazis during the Second World War, and the museum building was burned to the ground during the Warsaw Uprising of 1944. The museum resumed work only in 1978, at the initiative of Cardinal Stefan Vyshinsky. The first post-war exhibition of the museum's collection was held in the tower of St. Anne's Church, in which both preserved church relics and exhibits transferred to the museum by the Primate were presented. The director of the museum was appointed father Andrzej Pshekazhinsky, and in April 1980 the collection moved to the restored building of the Holy Trinity Church, one of the oldest churches in Warsaw. The permanent exhibition of the Museum of the Warsaw Metropolis has about 20,000 exhibits, the collection includes works of art, coins, paintings, sculptures, textiles, orders, jewelry and craftwork. In 2012, as part of a joint project of the European Union and the Ministry of Culture and National Heritage of Poland, large-scale restoration work was begun in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist and in the building of the former Palace of Deans located on Dekanov Street 1, in which, after completion of the repair, the Museum of the Archbishopric of Warsaw will be located - http://www.maw.waw.pl/2/muzeum.

Tourist Objects nearby
Museum of the History of Polish Jews
Museum of the History of Polish Jews
Blanca Palace
Blanca Palace
Museum of the Warsaw Uprising
Museum of the Warsaw Uprising
Museum of the Warsaw Football Club
Museum of the Warsaw Football Club
Multimedia Park Fountains
Multimedia Park Fountains
Mostovsky Palace
Mostovsky Palace
Tepper-Ducert Palace (Palace of the Four Winds)
Tepper-Ducert Palace (Palace of the Four Winds)
Literary Museum named after Adam Mickiewicz
Literary Museum named after Adam Mickiewicz
House under the kings
House under the kings
Presidential Palace / Viceroy's Palace
Presidential Palace / Viceroy's Palace
Related Tour Objects
Mother Teresa Memorial House
Mother Teresa Memorial House
Museums
Hydropolis
Hydropolis
Museums
Trakai History Museum
Trakai History Museum
Museums
Museum of the History of Belarusian Cinema
Museum of the History of Belarusian Cinema
Museums
Royal House Museum in Santo Domingo
Royal House Museum in Santo Domingo
Museums