Church in honor of the Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign (Church of the Sign of the Mother of God)
Lithuania, Vilnius

The Church in honor of the Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign (Church of the Sign of the Mother of God) is located in Vilnius city, in the вwerinas district. At the end of the 19th century, in the Alexandria region (now вwerinas), there were about 2.5 thousand Orthodox believers, while the nearest Orthodox parish Archangel-Michael Church was quite far away. The Vilnius Holy Spirit Brotherhood in 1887 decided to build a new Orthodox church. A plot of land for construction was donated by the landowner Vasily Vasilievich Martison. The temple was built and equipped with donations from private individuals. Large sums of money were allocated by the Archbishop Jerome of Kholmsky and Warsaw, the Archbishop of Vilna and Lithuania Juvenal, the Moscow landowner Vasilyev and the professor of the Technological School Kryukov. The construction of the church was started on October 14, 1899. The author of the project was the architect Mikhail Prozorov, the construction work was supervised by the contractor Nikolai Mavrikin, who also contributed to the creation of the temple, having built a luxurious mosaic floor at his own expense. The temple was built in the Byzantine architectural style, which is characterized by monumentality, versatility and rich decor. The bell tower is integral with the main building. The basement of the temple is made of cobblestone, the walls are faced with profile bricks. The building is decorated with a special brickwork: some rows of bricks are “sunk” into the walls, while others come out, creating a peculiar pattern throughout the facade. The Church of the Sign of the Mother of God is three-altered, in addition to the main throne, there are chapels in the name of John the Baptist and the venerable martyr Eudokia. The rich iconostasis of stained oak was made by carver Ivan Molokin. On the walls of the temple are the icons of the Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles Tsar Constantine, the Holy Martyrs Faith, Hope, Love and their mother Sophia, the holy noble princes Alexander Nevsky and Mikhail Tversky. On June 1, 1903, Archbishop Juvenal solemnly consecrated the new church with a list of the miraculous icon of the Kursk Root Icon of the Mother of God of the Sign, which was placed on the iconostasis to the left of the Royal Gates. This icon, unfortunately, has been lost. In 1948, the Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia Alexy, in blessing the temple, presented another list of the Kursk-Root Icon, which was placed in the place of the lost. A parish school, a building for an orphanage, and a library with a large reading room were built on the territory of the temple. Divine services in the church were not interrupted either during world wars or during the Soviet period. In 1948, the parish was officially registered. In the 90s of the XX century, the church received four new bells, cast at the Voronezh Metallurgical Plant, in 2007-2010, major repairs were carried out. The church has a Sunday school for children, a charity "Goodwill", a church choir "Sign" has been created.

Tourist Objects nearby
Telia Nonmuseum
Telia Nonmuseum
Cathedral of St. Stanislav (Vilnius)
Cathedral of St. Stanislav (Vilnius)
Gediminas Tower
Gediminas Tower
Vilnius Prechistensky Cathedral (Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary)
Vilnius Prechistensky Cathedral (Cathedral of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary)
Related Tour Objects
Churches and cathedrals
Churches and cathedrals
National Pantheon Santa Engrácia
National Pantheon Santa Engrácia
Churches and cathedrals
Church of St. Charles in Monte Carlo
Church of St. Charles in Monte Carlo
Churches and cathedrals
Church of St. Christ the Savior
Church of St. Christ the Savior
Churches and cathedrals