Temple in honor of the Assumption of the Mother of God
Lithuania, Vilnius County

The Church in honor of the Assumption of the Mother of God is located in the old Lithuanian city of Vievis (formerly Evie), next to the Vilnius - Kaunas highway. According to legend, the Grand Duke of Lithuania Gediminas, at the request of his beloved wife Princess Eva of Polotsk, who professes the Orthodox faith, built a monastery of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary here, the area was named after the princess - Evie. The heyday of this monastery fell on the beginning of the XV - the middle of the XVI century. Wealthy Orthodox families of the Principality of Lithuania considered it an honor to donate funds for the construction and improvement of churches dedicated to the Virgin. The noble princes and boyars Oginsky, Tyszkiewicz, Pats, Vollovichi, Gedroits, whose estates were located near Vievis, were zealous pilgrims and patrons of the Vievis monastery. There was a school at the monastery, teaching in the "Old Russian" language, and at the very beginning of the XVII century, in 1601-1602, the Vilnius Holy Spirit Brotherhood opened a printing house here. After the formation of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth in 1569, uniting the Polish Kingdom and the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, and the signing of the Union of Brest, the Assumption Monastery began to decline. The wooden temple was dilapidated, the monastery school was closed, only a few monks remained in the monastery. In 1806, already after the accession of Lithuanian lands to Russia, at the direction of Emperor Alexander I, the monastery in Vievis was abolished, and its premises began to be used as a parish church. In 1812, during the invasion of Napoleon, the Vievis church and monastery buildings were burned. The construction of a new Orthodox church was begun in 1837, and on August 15, 1843, Archimandrite of the Vilnius Holy Spirit Monastery Plato consecrated the new stone church of the Assumption of the Mother of God. By the beginning of the 20th century, the Wewis parish totaled more than 600 people, among them were merchants, industrialists, and public figures. During the First World War, services were not carried out in the Assumption Church, since its building was badly damaged by shelling. The church was restored in 1923 due to donations from parishioners. Due to lack of funds, work took more than five years. On November 5, 1933, the chapel in the name of the Vilna martyrs Anthony, John and Eustathius was consecrated in the Assumption Church. During World War II, church services did not stop, and after the war ended, in 1949, a major overhaul of the church building was carried out. In 2000, the roof and domes of the temple were updated, the bell with the image of the Virgin, cast in 1900 at the famous bell production of the Sangins brothers, was restored. An old bell weighs almost a ton. Inside the church, to the left of the iconostasis, there are black marble memorial plaques with gold-inscribed names of Orthodox Russian soldiers who, in different years of the 19th century, fell on the battlefields near Austerlitz and Borodino. These plates were previously stored in the chapel in the name of All Saints in the cemetery of Vievis, and after its closure were transferred to the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God. Today the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God in Vievis is still the center of Orthodoxy in the region, Orthodox people come from here and come from neighboring villages and cities, including the city of Elektrenai.