Catholic church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross (Roman Catholic Holy Exaltation, Calvary)
Belarus, Minsk

The history of the Roman Catholic Calvary Church dates back to 1673, when Theodor Vankovic, the stolnik and superstar, transferred his “jurisprudence” to the Order of the Franciscans in Calvaria for the construction of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross Church. Then, on the road to Rakov, a wooden church of the Carmelite order appeared. In 1800, Calvaria passed to the Franciscans, and from that time on they regularly began to bury Minsk residents of the Catholic faith. Then it was the outskirts of Minsk. In 1830, the cemetery was surrounded by a fence, a monumental entrance gate was built, in 1839 a new church made of rubble stone was erected on the site of a wooden one. In 1899 the church was renovated.
The church is a monument of the Neo-Gothic style. It was the only one operating in Soviet times. The history of the church is closely connected with its location - the Kalvariysky cemetery, where representatives of the well-known noble families of the Belarusian-Lithuanian region found eternal peace: Varivodskys, Vitkevichi, Gaidukevichi, Gintovty and Gintsa, Gorvaty, Grigorovichi, Dzeyki, Dovnary, Dorsprungu, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky, Zhukovsky. Kimbaras, Kobylinsky, Kamotsky, Matusevichs, Moniushki, Novitsky, Patsevichi, Petrashkevichs, Pyachulisy, Reuta, Rimashevsky, Rimshi, Sabily, Selitsky, Senkevichi, Stanishevsky, Stefanovichi, Khraptovichi, Chechoteyki, Shablovsky, yki, Yurevichi, Eismont, Yagely, Yanushkevich and hundreds of others. Under the later plates are more ancient.
Church books in Latin and Polish languages were found in the capital’s historical archive, which mentioned dozens of names not previously recorded on Calvary, among which are the Ponyatovskys (from this Belarusian-Lithuanian clan the last king of the Commonwealth Stanislav Augustus) and Radziwills.
Soldiers of the Napoleonic army and victims of the Bolshevik terror are buried here. During the First World War, Austrian soldiers who died in captivity were buried in the cemetery. There are graves of Polish soldiers who died during the Soviet-Polish war of 1919-1920. During World War II, 3,000 Jews from the Minsk ghetto were buried in Kalwaria.

Tourist Objects nearby
Gallery of modern art "Ў"
Gallery of modern art "Ў"
Amusement park "Dreamland"
Amusement park "Dreamland"
National Academic Drama Theater named after M. Gorky
National Academic Drama Theater named after M. Gorky
Belarusian State Museum of the History of the Great Patriotic War
Belarusian State Museum of the History of the Great Patriotic War
Multidisciplinary cultural and sports complex Minsk-Arena
Multidisciplinary cultural and sports complex Minsk-Arena
Central Children's Park named after M. Gorky
Central Children's Park named after M. Gorky
Club-casino "Millennium"
Club-casino "Millennium"
Related Tour Objects
Temples
Stupa Temple with Reclining Buddha in Kumarakand, Hikkaduwa
Stupa Temple with Reclining Buddha in Kumarakand, Hikkaduwa
Temples
Seville Cathedral (Cathedral of Maria de la Cede)
Seville Cathedral (Cathedral of Maria de la Cede)
Temples
Church in the name of saints Peter and Paul p. Ruzhany
Church in the name of saints Peter and Paul p. Ruzhany
Temples
Turku Cathedral
Turku Cathedral
Temples
Temple of the Great Bell
Temple of the Great Bell
Temples
Princess Temple
Princess Temple
Temples