Riga Holy Trinity-Sergius Monastery is the only Orthodox convent in Latvia. Its founders are maids of honor of the court of the Empress sister Ekaterina and Natalya Mansurova. In 1891, they opened a shelter for girls in Riga and a nursery house for elderly women, on the basis of which in 1892 a female monastic community was organized. At first, the community used the rented premises, later the Holy Synod allocated a land plot on 126 Suvorovskaya Street (now Krishyanis Baron Street). The development project for this territory was developed by St. Petersburg architect Viktor Velichko. The monastery provided for the construction of two churches (a house and a cathedral), a bell tower, living quarters for sisters, a shelter and a school for girls, a brick fence with a gate chapel, farm buildings, and a monastery garden and vegetable garden were also planned. First of all, a two-story wooden complex consisting of a sister building and a house church was built on the collected donations. June 20, 1893 the wooden church was consecrated in the name of St. Sergius of Radonezh. On September 15, 1902, by decree of the Holy Synod, the community was transformed into the Holy Trinity-Sergius Monastery, nun Sergius (Ekaterina Mansurova) was elevated to the rank of hegumen. By the end of the 19th century, the house church could not accommodate all the worshipers. The site for the cathedral church was consecrated by Archbishop Arseny in 1897, but construction was carried out only in 1902-1907. The project of the temple was developed by the Riga architect Konstantin Pekshen, 75,000 rubles were granted for its construction by Emperor Nicholas II, another 40,000 rubles were collected in the form of donations. In 1907, the cathedral church was consecrated in the name of the Holy Trinity. Work on the arrangement of the interiors of the cathedral continued until mid-1912. All the decoration of the upper and lower churches, including the iconostasis, icon cases, icons, utensils, vestments, were made in the Art Nouveau style. Initially, an oak carved iconostasis was located here, later it was replaced by a gilded iconostasis, previously belonging to the Church of the Nativity of Christ. Icons for the temple were painted in the workshops of the Trinity-Sergius Lavra. During the First World War, a hospital was organized in the monastery. In July 1915, most of the sisters and property were evacuated near Novgorod, to the Savvo-Vishersky monastery. After the war ended, part of the nuns returned to Riga, and the sisters of the destroyed Ilukst monastery, who brought with them the miraculous Tolga icon of the Mother of God, also found shelter in the monastery. During the Second World War, the monastery and the cathedral did not close, the nuns gave shelter to the destitute, actively participated in the rescue of children from concentration camps. During the retreat, the occupying authorities tried to forcibly take the nuns to Germany, but the sisters categorically refused. In 1963, the cathedral church became a parish, was transformed into the cathedral of the diocese. Nowadays, 140 sisters live in the monastery. In addition to household chores and temple maintenance, the monastery’s sisters work in a sewing workshop, do church embroidery, bake prosphora for Riga churches, and prepare free meals for 250 people daily.
56.9639, 24.1479