Aushros Wartai (Gate of Dawn, Sharp Brahma)
Lithuania, Vilnius

Aushros Gate (Gate of Dawn, Sharp Brahma) located in Vilnius, is one of the most important historical and religious monuments of the capital of Lithuania. This is the only gate preserved from the ten existing gates of the city wall. The loopholes on the outside of the gate remind of the defensive function, which are still clearly visible. The first mention of the gate dates back to 1514, at that time it was called the gate of Myadininka, since through them lay the path to Medininkai, a settlement on the way from Vilnius to Minsk. In 1594, the gate was already called the Acute Brahma; the origin of this name is reliably unknown. The gates were built in the Gothic style, later a facade with five embrasures and a renaissance-style attic was built over the gate arch, which has the Lithuanian coat of arms - the Chase, supported by two winged griffin lions. In the niche was placed the icon of Christ - the Savior of the world. In 1671, a wooden chapel was erected above the gate, from the side of the city, by the Carmelite monks, in which the miraculous image of the Mother of God of Ostrobramskoy was placed. From that moment on, the gates began to be called the Gates of Dawn, obviously, this is due to the fact that the Virgin Mary was called the Star of the Dawn. In 1715, the wooden chapel burned down, instead of it in 1754 a stone chapel was built in the Baroque style, and in 1829 it was rebuilt in the classical style. Through a covered gallery with a staircase from the chapel, you can get to the church of St. Theresa. On the pediment of the chapel there is an inscription in Latin "Mater misericordiae sub tuum praesidium confugimus" (We have the merciful Mother resort to your protection). From the middle of the 19th century, the custom was established to pass under the Gates of Dawn with an uncovered head in honor of the Ostrobramskoy Mother of God. The miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary in the chapel of the Gate of Aushros is one of the most famous works of painting of the Renaissance in Lithuania. She is also called the Madonna of the Gate of Dawn or the Vilnius Madonna. According to recent scientific studies, the icon was painted in the years 1620-1630 by an unknown Italian artist, the prototype for her was the painting of the Dutch artist Martin de Vos. The icon is made of tempera (type of paint) on eight glued oak boards with a thickness of 2 centimeters. The miraculous image of the Mother of God of Ostrobramskoy refers to a rare type of image of the Mother of God without a baby in her arms. The icon was revered by Catholics, Orthodox, and Uniates. To worship a miraculous icon, and now believers from many countries are gathering.