Church of St. Nicholas
Denmark, Middelfart

The Church of St. Nicholas, built in the Romanesque style in 1275, was dedicated to the patron saint of sailors St. Nicholas. Sailors leaving the harbor as part of the whaling fleets listened to mass in this church. It was rebuilt in the 15th century in the Gothic style. Inside there is an organ, department (1596) by the Nielsen Bang brothers, a baroque altar (1650), donated to the church by the mayor, a baptismal font (1845) made by the sculptor Bissen. In 1752, the state tax collector Leve and his wife were buried in the font, so the church chapel is decorated with their monograms. The frescoes, as well as the decoration of the font, have not been preserved since the Reformation, only some fragments are visible. The Church of St. Nicholas majestically rises above the surrounding lovely colorful houses.

Related Tour Objects
Churches and cathedrals
Grotto Lourdes
Grotto Lourdes
Churches and cathedrals
Church of St. Nicholas in Batumi
Church of St. Nicholas in Batumi
Churches and cathedrals
Church of the Holy Trinity
Church of the Holy Trinity
Churches and cathedrals
Church of St. John the Evangelist
Church of St. John the Evangelist
Churches and cathedrals
Church of St. Casimir
Church of St. Casimir
Churches and cathedrals
Holy Trinity Church in the village of Bolshaya Svarotva
Holy Trinity Church in the village of Bolshaya Svarotva
Churches and cathedrals