Sea Bridge Palanga
Lithuania, Palanga

The sea bridge in Palanga was built in 1884-1888 by Count Jozef Tyszkiewicz. Such a bridge-pier was extremely necessary for the city, since until the end of the 19th century transport links with Palanga were not established. Vacationers had to first go to Liepaja or Klaipeda, and then get to Palanga on horseback. The count also purchased the Phoenix merchant and passenger ship, which delivered vacationers, food and cargo from Liepaja. However, during the storms, the pier was covered with sand, and after a few years it became unsuitable for navigation. Since 1892, the bridge has become a favorite place for walks of citizens and guests of the resort. It has become a tradition to come to the bridge to see the sunset and listen to the sound of the surf. Sea pier has become one of the main attractions of Palanga. Over time, sea waves and wind completely destroyed the pier. In 1991, the city authorities decided to build a 470-meter bridge of reinforced concrete and wood instead of the old pier. After six years of construction, the new bridge was ready. In addition to the walking area, it has a mooring for small vessels and places for fishing lovers. Nowadays, Palanga Sea Pier is also popular among vacationers, as in the old days.

Tourist Objects nearby
Botanical Park in Palanga
Botanical Park in Palanga
Amber Museum in Palanga
Amber Museum in Palanga
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Assumption
Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of the Assumption
Temple of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God
Temple of the Iveron Icon of the Mother of God
Mount Birute (Birute Hill)
Mount Birute (Birute Hill)